CfP Deadline Date:
January 31, 2022
May 10-11, 2022
Basel, Switzerland and online
The Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (BCBS), and The Committee on the Global Financial System (CGFS)
Many countries implemented exceptional policy measures to support bank lending during the Covid-19 crisis. Some policy measures were intended to strengthen banks’ lending capacity and others to incentivise banks to use their available capacity. This conference will feature research studying how these policy measures affected the availability and allocation of bank credit, with the goal of informing future policy decisions. The conference will be held on 10–11 May 2022 in hybrid format at the BIS headquarters in Basel, Switzerland and virtually.
Within the general theme of how effective policy measures implemented during the Covid-19 crisis were in supporting bank lending, relevant policy measures include, but are not limited to:
– Banks’ use of capital and liquidity buffers
– Flexibility in bank capital and liquidity requirements
– Restrictions on capital payouts (eg dividends)
– Loan guarantees
– Payment moratoriums
– Funding for lending programmes
– Accounting rules, treatment of expected losses and loss provisioning
– Interaction of various policy measures
Relevant impacts of these measures include, but are not limited to:
– Quantity and pricing of bank credit
– Riskiness and distribution of bank credit (eg SMEs vs large firms, access of vulnerable firms)
– Effects on banks’ soundness and overall financial stability
– Impact on real economic activity (eg employment, investment, productivity)
– Spillovers to other segments in the financial system or across jurisdictions
PAPER SUBMISSION INFORMATION: The deadline for submissions is 31 January 2022. Draft papers and any questions should be sent to CGFS.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Authors of accepted papers will be notified by early March 2022. The organisers will reimburse travel and accommodation expenses for academic speakers with accepted papers. We hope to see many participants in person but will hold the conference in hybrid format to ensure that all who wish to participate can do so.
Link CfP and Conference: BCBS-CGFS Conference