CfP Deadline Date:
August 31, 2019 – Midnight EDT
November 15, 2019
Columbia Business School, New York, USA
While technological change has been a common component of economic growth throughout human history, developments over the past three decades – such as modern computing, big data, and the internet – appear to be accelerating the rate of change. Many industries have seen rapid exploration and adoption of new technologies, with academic research struggling to keep up.
Leveraging its location in New York City, Columbia Business School’s Program for Financial Studies aims to provide a central forum for discussion and promotion of new academic research on technological change in finance. The goal of the conference is to bring together academics and relevant practitioners in an area where such interaction is especially important. The inaugural New Technologies in Finance conference will be held at Columbia University on Friday, November 15th, 2019.
We invite academic paper submissions in the following broad areas:
(i) new products and processes transforming the industry; and
(ii) new empirical or theoretical methodologies with the potential to transform research in financial economics.
Examples of potential topics include, but are not limited to:
– Large and/or unstructured datasets (text, images, high-frequency data, geolocation data, satellite data, etc.)
– Applications of machine learning/AI in the finance industry
– Applications of machine learning/AI in academic research in financial economics (all sub-fields; empirical or theoretical)
– New measures of technological change and its impact on economic participants
– Multiple hypothesis testing or statistical methods to mitigate/exploit data mining
– The impact of mobile banking, crowd-funding, robo-advisors, or other novel, digital, or decentralized financial services
– New trading technologies in asset management
– Blockchain; cryptocurrencies; initial coin offerings
We welcome both full papers and early stage work (for the latter, please submit at least a two-page research proposal).
Link Conference: Columbia GSB – New Technologies in Finance Conference